Governing Body of Townsend Primary School – Our Vision and Ethos Statement
We believe that children learn best in an environment where they are happy and feel safe, Townsend Primary School is an inclusive school which strives to achieve this.
As a governing body, we believe that working in close partnership with the school produces the best results. During our meetings, all governors are invited to speak and share ideas, and our joint vision with each other and with the school is to continually improve the quality of learning opportunities for each child.
- We will ensure accountability for the educational performance of Townsend whilst lending support to the management and staff.
- We will steward Townsend’s resources to achieve maximum benefit for the pupils ensuring that the premises and facilities are up to date and safe.
- We will oversee the financial performance of Townsend and manage its allocated budget.
- Above all, we are committed to ensuring that we provide a nurturing environment for the pupils of Townsend to flourish and realise their maximum potential.
As governors, we are committed to supporting the management, staff, parents and pupils of Townsend in all its endeavours. We are dedicated to ensuring that each and every child is given the opportunity to achieve their personal best and that every staff member is given the training and resources to reach positive outcomes. Townsend’s motto ‘Learning, Achieving, Caring’ captures what is most important to us as governors and as a school.
We aim to ensure that Townsend’s curriculum is rich and varied, promoting an education which focuses on academic, personal and social development. Working together with the staff, we aim to:
- Encourage successful learners who enjoy school life, make progress and achieve.
- Nurture responsible individuals who will go on to make positive contributions to society.
- Embed skills that are the building blocks for future learning
- Support confident children who are able to live safe, healthy and fulfilling lives.
- Encourage free-thinking and imaginative play.
- Continue the use of innovative ICT with an emphasis on online safety.
- Expose our pupils to the wider world.
- Go beyond the classroom to learn, learning beyond the boundaries of Townsend itself.
Achieving at Townsend is celebrated, and it is recognised that achievement looks different for everyone. We expect all pupils to achieve their potential, reflecting their own individual strengths. Together with the school, we aim to:
- Ensure that the school and staff are well equipped to meet the diverse needs of all children.
- Place professional support staff who will use their expertise to enable achievement for all abilities.
- Continue to challenge more able pupils using activities which engage and excite.
Treatment of others is emphasised in all areas at Townsend. Children are taught to ‘own their own behaviour’ and understand that they are in control of their actions. As governors, we have high expectations of everyone in the school community and it is apparent that through the strong relationships which exist, mutual respect and good behaviour is achieved. Alongside the staff, we aim to:
- Eliminate all forms of discrimination, harassment and bullying.
- Promote equality, whether race, gender, age, sexuality, religion or disability.
- Ensure that all children are prepared for diverse lives and sensitive to other cultures.
- Support the wellbeing of all staff and children.
Governing Body of Townsend Primary School 2019