Townsend Primary School Parents’ Information SEND information Report


All Southwark Local Authority (LA) maintained schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and are supported by the LA to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school.

All schools are supported by the LA to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible.

The four broad ‘areas of need’ are

  1. Communication and Interaction
  2. Cognition and Learning
  3. Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties
  4. Sensory and Physical Needs.

What is the Local Offer?

The Children and Families Bill 2014, all Local Authorities and schools are required to publish and keep under review information about services they have for children and young people with Special Educational Needs & Disabilities (SEND) aged 0- 25. This is the ‘Local Offer’.

The intention of the Local Offer is to improve choice and transparency for families. It will also be an important resource for parents in understanding the range of services and provision in the local area.

Townsend SEND Information Report

This utilises the LA Local Offer to meet the needs of SEND pupils as determined by school policy, and the provision that the school is able to meet.

What does Townsend Primary School offer for children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities?

At Townsend Primary School, we embrace the fact that every child is different, and, therefore, the educational needs of every child is different; this is certainly the case for children with Special Educational Needs.

Please click on the 15 questions below for more information about the Local Offer from Townsend Primary School and how we can support your child.

Question 1

Who are the people to talk to about SEND at Townsend?

  1. Class Teacher who will:
  • Check on the progress of your child and identify, plan and deliver any additional help your child may need (this could be targeted work or additional support) and letting the Special Education Needs/Disabilities coordinator (SENCo) know as
  • Write Pupil Progress targets/Personal Learning Plans (PLPs), sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term and planning for the next
  • Deliver personalised teaching and learning for your child as identified on the school’s provision
  • Ensure that the school’s Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with

B)    The SENCo/Inclusion Manager:  Mrs Nicola Jones-Ford who will:

  • Develop and review the school’s SEND
  • Co-ordinate all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND).
  • Ensure that you as the parent are;
    1. Involved in supporting your child’s learning
    2. Kept informed about the support your child is getting
  • Involved in reviewing how they are doing
  • Liaise with all the other people who may be coming in to school to help support your child’s learning, e.g. Educational Psychologist
  • Update the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring that all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that records of your child’s progress and needs are
  • Provide specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school, so that they can help children with SEND in the school to achieve the best progress

C)     The Head teacher: Mrs A. Stonell who will:

  • Lead in the day to day management of all aspects of the school; this includes the support for children with
  • Give responsibility to the SENCo and class teachers but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are
  • Make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about issues relating to

D)    The SEN Governor: Ms. Angela McDowell who will:

  • Make sure that the necessary support is given for any child with SEND who attends the school.

Please contact Townsend Primary School on 0207 703 2672 if you would like to speak to the SENCo about SEND 

Question 2

What are the different types of SEND that are provided for at Townsend? 

Townsend Primary School supports all children with SEND. We put support in place to meet the four areas of need

  1. Communication and Interaction
  2. Cognition and Learning
  3. Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties
  4. Sensory and Physical Needs.

We achieved the Dyslexia Friendly award in 2012.  Although we have not updated this, we still use a wide range of dyslexic teaching activities and assessments.

We work with the Autism Outreach team to support children with ASD.

We have one Speech and Language Therapist employed by the school on a part time basis to support the children with speech, language and communication needs.

We are a Makaton friendly school, a few of our pupils communicate using Makaton, we teach a sign a week to all children during whole school assembly, more specific signs are taught to individual classes.

Our Learning Mentor Chloe Smith works with children to support them with their social and communication skills or with children who need to develop their self-esteem and confidence.  Chloe supports families facing difficulties e.g. no recourse to public funding, parents who are finding behaviour management at home challenging.  Chloe supports families with children with SEND to access training workshops or external agencies.

We have a Play Therapist in school one day a week to support the emotional needs of all children.

We work with the local authority to bring in additional agencies (as listed below) to support children with SEND

–          Educational  Psychologist

  • Children and Adolescent Mental Health (CAMHS)
  • Sunshine House
  • Physiotherapist 

Question 3

What policies support our SEND children at  Townsend?

  • Southwark Local Offer
  • SEND Policy
  • Behaviour Policy
  • Teaching and Learning Policy
  • Maths Policy
  • English Policy
  • Accessibility Plan
  • Admission Policy

Arrangements for the Admission of Pupils with Disabilities

The Disability Discrimination Act 1995 defines a disabled person as one who has a physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on a person’s ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities. Most children with Special Needs will not be disabled within the meaning of the Act.

The admission of pupils with disabilities is considered in the first instance in the same way as non-disabled pupils. Further considerations are made in the light of need and accessibility. It is the Governors’ Policy to accommodate pupils with disabilities should parents wish. Steps are taken to prevent any pupils being treated less favourably than other pupils.

In practice we ensure that classroom and extra-curricular activities encourage the participation of all pupils, including those categorised as having Special Educational Needs. Staff organise human and physical resources within the school to increase access to learning and participation by all pupils.

Existing facilities provided to assist access to the school by pupils with disabilities;

  • Wheelchair access at all entrances and sections of the
  • Carpeted classrooms to aid hearing impaired pupils
  • Exterior lighting to improve evening
  • Routes to the main entrance are clearly signed and free from
  • Disabled Access Toilet located next to the office and disabled parking is available via the staff car park on Mason St

School Accessibility Plan

The school building is accessible by a ramp to the front, entering the reception area. Ground floor of the building is fully accessible for those who have impaired mobility.

The building is tall and we have two floors above ground floor and two mezzanine floors. There is no lift in the building consequently those who are unable to manage the stairs will be unable to access anything not located on the ground floor.

Unfortunately this means that performances, including class assemblies, which take place in the first floor hall are not accessible to anyone with mobility problems. Should a parent or carer need to meet with a member of staff concerning their child, the meeting will be arranged so that it takes place on the ground floor if the parent or carer indicates that they are unable to manage the stairs.

For further information please contact the SEND team; Nicola Jones-Ford, Charlotte Gymer or the school office on  0207  703 2672

Question 4

What are the arrangements for consulting parents with SEND children and involving them in the child’s education? 

If you have concerns about your child’s progress, you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially.

If you continue to be concerned that your child is not making progress, you may speak to the Special Education Needs/Disabilities coordinator (SENCo).

The school SEN Governor can also be contacted for support.

Class Teachers, SENCo, Speech and Language Therapist, Education Psychologist and Play Therapist are available for appointments during the school term as needed by a parent.

Parent/Teacher meetings once a term

Autumn Term

(Whole School)

Spring Term

Each class has one allocated Parent/Teacher day for meetings across the month of February

Summer Term

Parent/Teacher Meetings to collect reports

Question 5 

What are the arrangements for consulting pupils with SEND and involving them in their education? 

Pupils with a PLP (Personal Learning Plan) will be consulted once a term when their plan is reviewed and their views and comments will be acknowledged on the plan.

The specialist support by outside agencies (Educational Psychologist, Play Therapist) will meet with the school and parents sharing the reports and recommendations.

Pupils with an Education Health and Care Plan will have a review of the plan once a year. At this meeting the views of the child will be taken with the support from the parent

Please also see question 4

 Question 6

What are the arrangements for assessing and reviewing children’s progress at Townsend? 

  • Every half term the Headteacher, Class Teacher and Assessment Coordinator will have a pupil progress
  • Every month, the SEND team consisting of the Headteacher, SENCo, SALT and Learning Mentor hold a meeting to assess progress and provision for each SEND pupil.
  • Every Monday the Class Teacher and Teaching Assistants meet to discuss provision for the
  • Assessment week is conducted by all Class Teachers once a
  • Teachers will assess children on a daily/weekly
  • Teachers will meet with parents once a term to discuss the PLP and how the child is progressing towards the outcomes/targets.
  • Parents of children with an EHCP plan will meet with the SENCo once a year to review how the child is progressing towards the outcomes /targets on the EHCP. The child’s view will also be heard in these
  • Children’s views on their progress will be recorded on their PLPs once a term



In identifying a child as needing SEND support the class or subject teacher, working with the

SENCO, will carry out a clear analysis of the pupil’s needs. This will draw on the teacher’s assessment and experience of the pupil, their previous progress and attainment, as well as information from the school’s core approach to pupil progress, attainment, and behaviour.


Where it is decided to provide a pupil with SEND support, the parents will be formally notified by the class teacher. However any prior concerns will have been raised with the parent during meetings with the teacher so that they are involved in forming the assessment of needs.


The class or subject teacher remains responsible for working with the child on a daily basis. Where the interventions involve group or one-to-one teaching away from the main class or subject teacher, they will still retain responsibility for the pupil. They should work closely with any teaching assistants or specialist staff involved, to plan and assess the impact of support and interventions and how they can be linked to classroom teaching.


The effectiveness of the support and interventions and their impact on the pupil’s progress should be reviewed. This will be completed daily by the class teacher and more formally in the pupil progress meetings held once a half term with the Headteacher and Assessment Coordinator.  The outcomes of this will be discussed in the SEND team monthly meeting.

Question 7

What are the arrangements for Transitions between year groups and to a new school? 

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND, and we take steps to ensure that any transition is as smooth as possible. We will ensure that we take account of the personal outcomes for each individual child and where possible ensure that this reflects their ambitions.

The SENCo works with the Local Authority transition support officer to support pupils moving to year 7.

If your child is joining us from another school:

The SENCo will visit pre-schools with the Foundation Stage Leader when appropriate.

If your child would be helped by a transition book or passport which will have statements that inform the school all about the child and have images of the new school and familiar adults to support them in understand moving on, then one will be made for them.

Your child will be able to visit our school and stay for a taster session, if this is appropriate.

If your child is moving to another school:

We will contact the school SENCo and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that needs to be made for your child. Where possible, a planning meeting will take place with the SENCo from the new school.

We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.

If your child would benefit from a book/passport to support them to understand the transition, then one will be made for them.

When moving classes in school:

Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance and a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. PLP (Personal Learning Plan) will be shared with the new teacher.

If your child would be helped by a book/passport to support them in understand moving on, then one will be made for them.

In  Year 6:

The SENCo will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENCo of the child’s secondary school. In most cases, a transition review meeting to which you will be invited will take place with the SENCo from the new school.

Your child will participate in focused learning relating to aspects of transition, to support their understanding of the changes ahead.

Where possible, your child will visit their new school on several occasions, and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.

If your child would be helped by a book/passport to support them in understand moving on, then one will be made for them.

Question 8

What are the Teaching approaches used with SEND pupils at Townsend? 

Class teacher input, via excellent targeted classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching).

For your child this would mean

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can
  • That different ways of teaching are in place, so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like increasingly using more practical
  • That specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCo or SALT) are in place to support your child to
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has a gap or gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible

Specific group work

Intervention which may be run in the classroom or a group room OR run by a teacher or a teaching assistant (TA).

Specialist groups run by outside agencies, e.g. Speech and Language therapy SEN Code of Practice 2014: School Support (SS)

This means a pupil has been identified by the SENCo/Inclusion Manager/class teacher as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from Local Authority central services, such as the ASD Outreach Team, Behaviour Support Team or Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need).

Outside agencies such as the Education Psychology Service (EPS). 

What could happen: You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional, e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and you to understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them more effectively in school.

The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support.

Specified Individual support

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong.

This is usually provided via a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of individual or small-group teaching.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups

Your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from Local Authority central services such as the ASD Outreach Team, Behaviour Support or Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need).

For your child this would mean 

The school (or you) can request that Local Authority Services carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.

After the request has been made to the ‘Panel of Professionals’ (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case, they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the current support.

After the reports have all been sent in, the Panel of Professionals will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong. If this is the case, they will write a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP). If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the current level of support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.

The Statement or EHC Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used, and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long- and short-term goals for your child.

The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.

Question 9

What adaptions are made to the curriculum and the learning environment for children with SEND at Townsend? 

All class teachers plan lessons to challenge and meet the needs of every child in the class. Support staff work in partnership with the teachers teaching groups and / or individual children, following the teacher’s planning and feeding back information about how children learned and what they found difficult / might need more practice in. The class teacher will work with every child in the class themselves, so that they have a very clear idea about their needs and abilities, and about what will best help them to make progress.

Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups. This will include;

  • A visual timetable (this is available in all classes)
  • Learning aides
  • Coloured overlay for children with dyslexia
  • Lap top and iPad for specific learning in class

Specially trained support staff can implement the teachers modified/adapted planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.

Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis if needed to meet your child’s learning needs and increase your child’s access to what is on offer.

  Question 10

What expertise and training is available to the staff at Townsend? 

The SENCo’s job is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEND.

The school provides training and support to enable all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children, including those with SEND. This includes whole school training on SEND issues, such as Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and speech and language difficulties.

Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class, e.g. from the Autism Outreach Team (AoT) service.

The Speech and Language Therapist trains Teaching Assistants in how to deliver language intervention for specific children, and teachers and teaching assistants in how to support specific children in the classroom and school environment.

All staff will work alongside these agencies and be involved in on the job training.

Question 11

How is the effectiveness of  provision  evaluated  at Townsend? 

Where necessary, children will have a Personal Learning Plan (PLP) based on targets set by outside agencies specific to their needs. Targets will be designed to accelerate learning and close the gap so that children (who are able to) are working towards meeting the age related end of year curriculum expectations.  Progress against these targets will be reviewed regularly, evidence for judgments assessed and a future plan made.

The progress of children with a statement of SEN/EHC Plan will be formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education.

The SENCo will also check that your child is making good progress within their individual work and in any group that they take part in.

The SENCo will use assessment data and observations to evaluate the effectiveness of the provision made for the children with SEND. This will be completed by

  • Conducting class observations
  • Conduct observations of interventions that have been put in place for the child
  • Monitoring the planning that is in place for the child
  • Once a term meet with the class teacher and the parent
  • Gaining feedback from the child with the use of the Personal Learning Plan (PLP)
  • Attend pupil progress meetings with the class teacher and the Headteacher to evaluate the progress of each individual child once every 12 

Your child’s progress will be continually monitored by his/her class teacher. His/her progress will be reviewed formally with the Headteacher and SENCo every term in reading, writing and numeracy.

If your child is in Reception or above, a more sensitive assessment tool can be used, which shows their attainment in more detail – breaking learning down into smaller steps.

Test and Exam Arrangements

In England, schools are responsible for checking whether a child is working at the level of a test (e.g. Key Stage 2 SATS) but cannot access them. The Head Teacher makes the final decision about this, for example if your child:

  • has a physical or sensory disability (e.g. a visual impairment)
  • spent lots of time in hospital towards the end of the Key

Specific arrangements can be put in place to enable children to access the tests. These are based on typical classroom practice for children with particular needs (e.g. if your child uses a laptop for everyday writing in class, this should be available for the exam). Detailed information about each access arrangement and how it can be used is available on the DfE’s website at

Question 12

How will children at Townsend with SEND engage with all the activities available? 

Provision is made for pupils with SEND to be included in all activities where possible at Townsend so that they can engage with pupils who do not have SEND. Where adaptations are needed (a   risk assessment is carried out if necessary) and put in place so that engagement can be had by all children.

If you like to find out more about the clubs that are run at Townsend and how your child could be involved, then please contact the school office.

 Telephone number 0207 703 2672 Please also see question 8 and  9

 Question 13

How does Townsend provide support for improving emotional and social development?

 We recognise that some children have extra emotional and social needs that need to be developed and nurtured. These needs can manifest themselves in a number of ways, including behavioural difficulties, anxiousness, and being uncommunicative.

The views of the children with SEND are recorded on their PLPs and also the children have opportunities across the day to share with the Teachers and Teaching Assistants regarding any concerns

All classes follow a structured PSCHE (Personal, Social, Health end Economic education) curriculum to support this development. At Townsend we follow the Paths Plus Curriculum that supports the teaching of PSCHE. However, for those children who find aspects of this difficult we offer:

An in-school ‘Friendship Group’ provision, run by our highly trained Learning Mentor and teaching assistant. This is a 14 week programme that supports the children’s ability to maintain and develop social friendships

Peer Mediators are on the playground to support relationships and an open door policy is applied by the Headteacher and Deputy Headteacher for all children, especially in cases of suspected bullying.

Lunchtime and playtime support through planned activities and groups.

If your child still needs extra support, with your permission the SENCo will access further support through the CAF process.

We have an onsite Play Therapist who works alongside the class teacher to support the social and emotional needs of children (by referral only).

We have a very clear behaviour policy, offering a programme of teaching to all children and we involve the children very directly in managing this. All children are taught about what bullying means, that it is completely unacceptable and about what they need to do if they see or experience bullying. Any suspected bullying is reported directly to the Headteacher

Behaviour Policy

Question 14

How does Townsend involve outside agencies to support the parent, child and school?

 Where outside agency support is required, the SENCo will complete a Common Assessment Form (CAF) this is shared with the parent in a meeting. It is with the parent’s agreement that a referral is made.

Where a referral is made then a Delivery Plan will be created and followed by the designated Lead professional.

School provision

  • Teachers responsible for teaching SEN groups/individuals on a part-time
  • Teaching Assistants and HLTAs mainly working in the Group Rooms with either individual children or small
  • Intervention support in the form of writing and maths programmes as well as WordShark, and Toe by Toe a phonic reading programme, is delivered by teaching assistants during before school or afternoons in small group or individual sessions, according to
  • Our Learning Mentor or HLTAs offer support for children with emotional and social development through our Friendship
  • Speech and Language provision (school based).

Local Authority Provision delivered in school

  • Autism Outreach Service
  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing needs
  • Parent Partnership Service
  • SALT (Speech and Language Therapy)

Health Provision delivered in school

  • Additional Speech and Language Therapy input to provide a higher level of service to the school
  • School Nurse
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy
  • CAMHs

Support for Parents

–    SENCO – Nicola Jones-Ford

  • Learning Mentor
  • Contact a Family
  • Southwark Parent Partnership Service

Where can you find further support and information?

 Southwark Local Authority provides full information and support around its local offer and attached  services. See their  website:

Telephone  020 7 525 5000

 The Southwark Information Advice and Support team (SIAS – formerly known as Parent Partnership) offers parents impartial support, training and advice on such topics as: Special Educational Needs; transition to secondary school; how to request an Education Health Care plan; understanding tribunals and SEND exclusions.

Telephone: 0207 525 3104

KIDS London SEN Mediation Service is an independent disagreement resolution service that provides mediation meetings for parents of children with Special Educational Needs and their local education authority or the child’s school when there is some kind of disagreement surrounding how best to meet those needs. Mediation is an informal, voluntary process where parties in disagreement meet together with an independent mediator.

Telephone: 0207 359 3635

Contact a Family provide services to any family regardless of the type of the child’s disability   as long as they live in Southwark. Services include: drop in service at Sunshine House and selected children centres; phone advice 5 days per week between 9.00 am and 5.00pm; Helpline advice

on specialist topics: education, welfare and benefits, housing; casework support to individual families; DLA workshops at Sunshine House; family-focused social events; coffee mornings and afternoons; quarterly newsletter and monthly email

Telephone  020  7358  7799

 ADDISS The National Attention Deficit Disorder Information and Support Service. Provides information and resources about Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder to parents, sufferers, teachers or health professionals.

Telephone: 020 8952 2800

The ADHD Foundation supports achievement, educational attainment, mental health and employability. The Foundation works in partnership with those living with ADHD, enabling them understand and manage ADHD.

Telephone: 01512 372 661

Telephone: 01512 372 661

Southwark Autism Support is a project set up by The National Autistic Society to provide information, advice and support to the parents and carers of children and young people with an autistic spectrum disorder (ASD) living in Southwark. The service provides advice, information and suggestions to help with the behavioural, emotional and practical challenges that living with a child or young person with an ASD can  present.

Telephone: 020 7771 3491 Email:

Scope is a national disability organisation whose focus is people with cerebral palsy, offering early years, education, and independent living and employment opportunities for disabled people. Telephone:  08088 003 333  Information:

Small Steps provide a supportive environment for parents of children with Cerebral Palsy and other forms of motor and sensory impairment. Parents are able to meet others sharing similar experiences, and can attend workshops that inform parents, giving them a platform for discussion and to socialise. Telephone: 020 8704 5935 Information:

Down’s South London (DSL), is a parent run charity based in Peckham that provides a free, unique early intervention therapy service to local children with Down’s Syndrome. Telephone: 020 7701 9521 Email:

Down’s Syndrome Association (National) offers information and support on all aspects of Down’s Syndrome.

Telephone:   03331 212 300

Dyslexia Association of London offers support and information to parents, teachers and adults on dyslexia/specific learning difficulties. It also offers a befriending service.

Telephone:  020 8870 1407

 Dyspraxia Foundation is for parents of a child with dyspraxia who want to talk with other parents/carers in the same position.

Telephone: 01462 454 986 Information:

The National Deaf  Children’s  Society  (NDCS)  is  a  charity  dedicated  to  creating  a  world without barriers for deaf children and young people, believing that deaf children can do anything other children can do, given early diagnosis and the right support from the start, as well as involving them in decisions that affect them at as early an age as possible.

Telephone: 08088 008 880 Information:

Resources for Autism provides a range of support services for both children/young people and their families including autism specific home/community support for all ages and autism specific parent/carer groups. They also offer autism specific play and youth clubs and holiday play schemes for children and young people aged 8-19 years old.

Telephone: 020 8458 3259 Information:

Royal London Society for the Blind (RLSB) supports blind young people & kids to live life without limits.

Telephone: 01732 592 500 Information:

Young Minds provides information and support for anyone worried about a child or young person’s behaviour and mental health, providing information about the symptoms, diagnosis and treatment of common mental health and behaviour concerns, especially for parents and carers. Telephone: 08088 025 544 Information:                                                                        

Council for Disabled  Children  (CDC)  aims  to  make  a  difference  to  the  lives  of  disabled children and children with special educational needs, by influencing Government policy, working with local agencies to translate policy into practice and producing guidance on issues affecting the lives of disabled children.

Telephone:   020 7843 1900   Information:

Southwark Carers an independent charity with over 5,000 carers currently registered, they provide information, advice and support to carers across Southwark.

Telephone: 020 7708 4497 Information:

Southwark Parent Carer  Council  (PCC)  a group of  parent carer  volunteers, who are  working  to achieve excellent local services for disabled children/young people aged 0-25 and their families. By working with partners in Education, Health and Social Care, to make sure all parent carers   and young people have a voice – and have a say in the development and provision of our   services. They are the parent carer forum for Southwark, part of the National Network of Parent Carer Forums(NNPCF).

Telephone: 020 7525 1106 or 07944107019 Information:

Southwark Young Carers Project A young carer is anyone aged  18  or under who  helps to look after a relative who has a disability, illness, mental health condition, or drug or alcohol problem.

Telephone:   020 7703 6400

Southwark Siblings for those living in Southwark, aged between 6 and 14, who help look after     a brother or sister with a disability, giving them a chance to meet other siblings, make friends  and share experiences, the chance to have fun and take part in activities through attending small groups and ongoing regular meetings outside the family home, also a regular newsletter.

Telephone:020 7701 2826 Information:

Family Action ADHD  Specialist  Service  A  project  offering  home  visiting,  telephone  support and an 8-week “Managing ADHD Group” programme to support the families of children aged between 5 and 12 who have been diagnosed with ADHD; detailed information pack (provided on the home visit), offering further information about the diagnosis, some useful resources and explaining all the services available including Southwark specific services and online resources. Referrals come from any statutory or voluntary agency or self-referral. It is a free and confidential service.

Telephone  07923103243

Question 15

What arrangements are in place if I have any complaints about my child and their progress? 

Please contact the School Office who will arrange a meeting with the Class teacher or SENCo. (Nicola Jones-Ford)

If you feel that you would like your concerns to be addressed further then please arrange an appointment with the Headteacher (Anne Stonell) or Deputy Headteacher (Karen  Griffin)

If this still does not solve the problem, you will need to contact Ms Victoria Butler, the School Governor who is responsible for Special Educational Needs and Disability at Townsend Primary School. This is best done by writing to her, care of the school office.

If you wish to make a complaint to the Local Authority about some aspect of its practice with respect to meeting the Special Educational Needs of your child, this is perhaps best done by contacting them directly on: Telephone: 020 7525 0042 or via e-mail at: