Hello, I am Elizabeth. I am the Speech and Language Therapist at Townsend Primary School.
I work for Evelina London in the Children and Young People’s Community Speech and Language Therapy Service. Townsend School commission 70 days of Speech and Language Therapy from us per year.
A Speech and Language Therapist’s role is to support children’s communication in school and make sure staff feel confident to support your children’s communication in class too.
This involves supporting the development of:
- Attention: the ability to focus on a specific task for a length of time.
- Listening: being able to make sense of verbal information.
- Understanding of language: being able to understand words and language.
- Use of language: using the correct sentence structure, grammar, Makaton (sign language), using symbols and pictures to communicate.
- Social communication: social skills such as knowing when to speak or listen in a conversation, reading social cues such as voice tone and interpreting facial expressions.
If you feel your child has a difficulty in any of these areas and you would like your child to have a Speech and Language assessment please contact the school office. If your child is being seen already and you have any further questions or concerns, or if you would like information on how to support your child’s communication at home, please contact the school office so a time can be arranged to meet with me.
If you would like more information about how to support you child at home you can find top tips and information about events and training on our Facebook page and Website: