Angela Prestwich – Reception Teacher / EYFS Coordinator
Nikki Thomson – Nursery Nurse
Shahin Akhtar – Teaching Assistant
Welcome to Reception! We are so proud of the children and how well they are settling into Reception Class. We are looking forward to our learning together this term. This letter will outline some of the learning planned for the first half of the Autumn term in Reception and give some suggestions of how you can help at home.
In Literacy the children are going to learn how to use phonic letter sounds to read and write. They will be doing daily phonic activities, word activities and focussed reading and writing sessions.
How you can help:
- Talk to your child about letters names and their corresponding sound and words in the environment. (your child may like watching Alphablocks on cbeebies – bbc iplayer)
- Give your child opportunities to draw and write at home.
- Support your child to write their name and other words that are important to them.
- Talk to them every day about their day, ideas and interests.
- Most importantly, please read with your child every day.
In Maths children are going to be learning about numbers 1-10. They will learn how to recognise numbers and count objects accurately. They will also learn about different 2D and 3D shapes.
How you can help:
- Talk to your child about different numbers in the environment, like buses or number plates.
- Count with your child and help them to touch an object as they say a number.
- Sing number songs with your child.
- Talk to your child about the shapes of different items at home and in the environment.
- Play online games:
This term we will be learning about different topics and books. We are starting with ‘Colour Monster’ which helps children to understand and talk about their feelings. After this, we will choose books based on what the children are interested in. If your child has a particular interest in something, please let us know.
Can you please remember the following:
* Always be on time for school and to collect your child – if you are going to be late call the school!
* Bring a change of clothes in case of accidents
* Ring the school if your child is absent
* Remember to speak with the staff if you have any questions or queries.
Thank you for your support,
Angela – Reception class teacher, Nikki – Nursery Nurse and Shahin – Teaching Assistant