Michael Dolan – Reception Teacher / EYFS Coordinator
Siobhan Elston – Nursery Nurse
Janet Thomas – Teaching Assistant
Welcome to Reception! We hope that you and your child will enjoy this exciting new year. This letter is to outline some of the learning planned for the first half of the Autumn term in Reception and to give some suggestions of how you can help at home.
In Literacy the children are going to learn how to use phonic letter sounds to read and write. They will be engaged in phonic activities, word activities and focussed reading and writing sessions every day.
How you can help:
- Talk to your child about letters and words in the environment.
- Give your child opportunities to draw and write at home.
- Support your child to write their name and other words that are important to them.
- Talk to them every day about their day, ideas and interests.
- Most importantly, please read with your child every day.
In Maths children are going to be learning about numbers 1-20. They will learn how to recognise numbers and count objects accurately. They will also learn about different 2D and 3D shapes.
How you can help:
- Talk to your child about different numbers in the environment, like buses or number plates.
- Count with your child and help them to touch an object as they say a number.
- Sing number songs with your child.
- Talk to your child about the shapes of different items at home and in the environment.
- Play online games:
This term we will be learning about different topics and books. We are starting with ‘Owl Babies’. After this, we will choose books based on what the children are interested in. If your child is particularly interested in something, please let us know.
There will be 4 Crescent Literacy workshops this term. This is a chance for you to come into class and support your child’s learning with different fun activities. More information will be sent out to you at a later date.
Parents will be invited in to class to look at their child’s learning journey and join in with their child’s learning and play. We will send out allocated slots at a later date.