Michael Dolan – Reception Teacher / EYFS Coordinator
Siobhan Elston – Nursery Nurse
Janet Thomas – Teaching Assistant
Welcome back, we hope you have had a wonderful Christmas break. We are looking forward to an exciting spring term in Reception class! This letter is to outline some of the learning planned for spring term and some suggestions of how you can help at home.
In Phonics we are continuing to learn letter sounds and write words and sentences. We remind the children every day to use finger spaces and capital letters when writing sentences. The program we use to teach phonics is https://www.letters-and-sounds.com/
How you can help:
- Talk to your child about letters and words in the environment.
- Give your child opportunities to draw and write at home.
- Support your child to write their name and other words that are important to them.
- Talk to them every day about their day, ideas and interests.
- Most importantly, please read with your child every day.
In Maths we are learning to use numbers 0-20 in addition and subtraction and doubling and halving. Children will learn about number bonds to 10. 0+10=10, 1+9=10, 2+8=10, 3+7=10, 4+6=10, 5+5=10, 6+4=10… We will also continue to explore shapes and measure.
How you can help:
- Talk to your child about different numbers in the environment, like buses or number plates.
- Count with your child and help them to touch an object as they say a number.
- Sing number songs with your child.
- Talk to your child about the shapes of different items at home and in the environment.
- Play online games:
In Literacy we will be learning about different topics and books. We are starting with ‘The Tiger Who Came To Tea’. After this, we will choose books based on what the children are interested in. If your child is particularly interested in something, please let us know.
There will be 4 Crescent Literacy workshops in spring term. This is a chance for you to come into class and support your child’s learning with different fun activities. More information about Crescent Literacy workshops will be sent out to you at a later date.
Each Friday, parents will be invited in to class to look at their child’s learning journey and join in with their child’s learning and play. We will send out allocated slots at a later date.
Please check Tapestry regularly as observations are updated all the time. Over the term you can add your own pictures of your child via your smart phone or tablet. Please see a member of staff if you need any help with logging in or getting a profile.
We are very excited to announce that we will be getting a new reading scheme in Reception called ‘Bug Club’. Electronic books, which can be viewed on a tablet or smart phone, will be allocated to children weekly for children to read at home.
Thank you for your support,
Michael, Siobhan and Janet